Monday, April 5, 2010

Today I taught Manny the word "Procrastination"

1 ten page paper
5 weeks to write
3 actual days of work on the paper
2 pages completed

So this is pretty average for my life in LA, but here it just feels like I'm being robbed of more things to do like going out to bars, hanging out with friends, and riding a bike around Lichterfelde when I put off work then have to designate an entire day to writing. Ah I should really get on writing my paper.

In the meantime though I think I'll enlighten everyone into the serious story of Easter in Germany. So I knew things were getting serious here when they got Thursday (THURSDAY!) and Friday off for Easter. I mean Easter is a Christian holiday, there's no making that PC like the US does with "Winter" Break. Yeah so then after a lovely 4 hour hike in Northern Berlin forests on Thursday I went with my friend Danielle shopping with her host sisters. That's when she drops the bomb on me: Germans actually buy each other gifts on Easter. REAL gifts, like the kind of things Americans would get each other for birthdays. Craziness! I watched as my Danielle bought nice things for her family and comforted myself with the thought that Manny, surely, did not do this. I mean when was the last time any country was more capitalistic and consumerist than the US? Never! Or so I thought! So I got Manny a big chocolate bunny thinking that I could just keep it if it turned out Easter was just normaand thankfully Danielle let me borrow a blank CD so I could possibly make him a burned CD. I get home and realize that Danielle (natürlich!) was totally correct! Well Manny didn't get me anything, but he had put a chocolate bunny in my bookshelf and a "Frohe Ostern" embordered thingy. AH! Yes, so then Sira comes over and she goes on a search for her gifts which Manny has actually hidden outside. Ha. Anyways then it turns out we have frustuck plans for Easter morning b/c Easter is a big deal. The breakfast was good but the really exciting thing was going on Manny's scooter to get there!!! AHHHH! Call me crazy, but after what shall be known as the "snow-mobile incident" I haven't been too keen to get on fast moving machines. Still it was sooo sooo much fun to get on the scooter and go all around to get to his friend's house. I mean it was like a tour of Berlin by scooter! Hooray!

Anyways I think I'll go write that paper now!

No comments:

Post a Comment