Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Hooray I'm here!

So I wrote this a while ago because I'm jet lagged and keep waking up at 5 to 6am, but didn't have the blog set up. Here you go!

January 3, 2010 7:19am

So I survived my first night in Berlin! Yay! Yesterday I got all my luggage (hooray!) and took a taxi to my hotel which was SO much less expensive than in Paris. This is a good trend, I hope it keeps going. After settling in at the hotel I started reading my travel book which just stressed me out further b/c I could not figure out what would be a close place to visit and I didn’t want to tackle the metro in my sleepy stooper. So after frustratedly deciding that my travel book was a piece of crap I dedicated to just wander around the area of my hotel. It was 3:30 and I figured I probably had an hour of light left. I just decided to go wherever there would be lots of people and found a Bauhaus building which is really cool because I just read about him in Euro City. Then turning at the building I just went straight and ended up amazingly at Wittenburgplatz which is this really cool area with tons of shops, cafes, bars, and a U-Bahn entrance.

The HUGE KaDeWe department store (picture below) is also in this area and it is just like Euro City! The store was still decorated for Christmas and the theme was circus. The whole entrance was decorated extravagantly to be a circus with 4 merry-go-rounds and even a funny mirror place to walk through. After that there was designer clothes and make up and perfume. The whole thing was 6 stories and had literally everything you could possibly want to buy: men, women, and children’s clothes, all types of shoes, a huge kids toys section with bears and dolls, paper works, a fabric section like JoAnn’s, soap, a book section the size of most book stores, a lighting area for different types of light fixtures. But the top floor was the most amazing because it was a food court. This food court is nothing like American mall food courts. This was 3 course, good expensive meals with fancy chefs and all the works. The amazing thing was that there was more than one fancy place to eat! Just to let you get a grasp on how huge this place is on top of the few restaurant type places there were several full bars, espresso stands, and huge candy kiosks. Also there is a deli where you can get fresh meat AND a bread shop. It was crazy! So cool!

Unfortunately after that little outing I fell asleep which was around 7pm yeah which is why I was up at 4am today haha. At least I know now that it gets light here at 7:50ish. Ha. Anyways now I’m about to get some breakfast through the hotel and attempt the metro to head over to Potsdamer Platz to see some of the Berlin Wall, Hitler’s bunker, and the square itself. Yeah wish me luck! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment