Saturday, January 16, 2010



So classes have been good. I finally got out my camera and took some pictures of my house and stuff so I'll have to put them up soon. 


Here's (from left to right) Andres, Sira and Manfred at the welcome dinner. They weren't really looking when I took the picture. Haha and I think Manfred was talking. 

The other night Manfred and Sira took me out to dinner and to the movies. Ah it was sooo cool! Sira and I met Manfred at a bar in Schöneberg that was really a hole in the wall that Manfred said was a place for old intellectuals to meet. Then we walked around Schöneberg near Eisenerstrasse which was a really funky place. Eventually we got to a cafe which was sooo cool. The bar/cafe was a Cuban place with writing allll over the walls! The entire place was covered and the drinks were really good and they even gave Sira a shot afterwards b/c the lady knows Manfred and gave us all, after dinner shots. Ha, then we went to the kino (movie theater) and it was this really cool hole in the wall place that had graffiti all over it. We got inside and its totally one of those huge old theaters from the 40's and 50's. There's only one screen and it was so cool! Its hilarious seeing the a dubbed George Clooney speak German in a really weridly deep voice. Ha, luckily our move Dr. Parnassis' Imaginarium English with German subtitles. Anyways the whole evening was really cool.



Here's me writing on the wall at the Cuban cafe/bar place. I wrote "Me gusta Berlin!"

Last night we had a welcome dinner with a bunch of families which was nice and afterwords everyone planned to go out to bars. Unfortunately there were about 30 Americans wandering through the U Bahn looking for a place to go. Yeah... so luckily Raleigh, who's really funny and werid and cool, and Adam, a kind of sarcastic older brother person, decided to ditch out on the American take over of some random bar and we wandered around the city until the wee hours in the morning. UGhh. I blame Adam b/c he speaks really fluent German and loves the city so he's all about staying out until 7am. The three of us had a good time going to a few bars then going to the infamous Berghain which is rumored to be the best club in Berlin. Haha yeah I don't know. It was my first club so it was kind of interesting to listen to weird house music and have the walls pounding. The Berghain is an old powerplant they made into a club. Apparently people stay there till 10am and at 6 or 7am they open up the roof so people can watch the sunrise. Ha, yeah it was interesting and I was much too tired to stay until then. Raleigh and I stepped out early while I'm sure Adam was there until 8am. 

On the school side of things, classes are going well. They're more of a seminar than actual class b/c they only meet one time a week for 3 hours. My history class got off to a terribly boring start, but my Islam and Totalitarianism classes seem really interesting. The classes are only with American students in one buliding but its okay.

Above is Vivian and Raleigh in the Brentanosstrassa school house. 

OHHHHH I have the BEST small world story EVER! So I was eating in the Mensa which is a huuuuge cafeteria for all 40,000 students at Freie Universitat. I can hardly find people that I know there, but on Wednesday I was sitting eating with Raleigh and Adam when we were about to get up from the table this girl taps me on the sholder. IT WAS TERRY FROM CK! Terry was an exchange student at CK in Silverdale 4 years ago! We did swim together and I didn't really know her that well but GHEEZ here she was in the Mensa in Berlin! Terry's not even German! She's Belgium! CRAZY! She's studying abroad at Freie Universtat and she just happened to be at the Mensa at the same time I was! Also Anna, a girl who studied at CK with Terry was also in Berlin! We exchanged numbers after talking for a bit and we're going to all hang out with Anna soon! How crazy! What are the chances?! Its just so cool!

Anyways needless to say my time in Berlin has been really awesome so far and I'm totally loving it! YAY!


No comments:

Post a Comment